Brushing and flossing around dental braces
Oral hygiene should be strictly observed when you are wearing braces. Not doing so can cause enamel staining and tooth decay since food debris and plaque get trapped between the tiny spaces of the braces.
Thus, you should brush your teeth every after meals. Use a toothpaste with fluoride content and a soft-bristled brush. Rinse thoroughly to make sure that they’re clean. When flossing, use a floss threader to floss between braces and underwires. Moreover, make sure to visit your dentist every six months for cleaning.
Braces Care Guidelines
You can ensure a simple and effective daily brushing by doing these:
- Before brushing, take off elastics and any other removable parts of your orthodontic appliance.
- How to clean your braces? Position your brush at a 45-degree angle. Start brushing from the top of each brace wire and to the bottom. You can look at the mirror to make sure that your appliance is totally clean from any plaque or food debris.
- How to properly brush your teeth? Position your brush at a 45-degree angle to the junction between the tooth and the gum. Brush gently in a circular motion. Continue doing this for about 10 seconds.
- Floss once a day. Use super floss. On how to properly use it, ask your dentist or you can just follow the instructions on the package.
- Rinse thoroughly with water or mouth rinse. Then, check again in the mirror to make sure your teeth are sparkly clean.
You can schedule a consultation with our dentist for a more thorough discussion on how you can properly clean your teeth and braces. Get in touch with us via phone call today!